Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Space Marines: The Blue Tide

This week I have been immersed under a blue tide.


Not quite, but you get the picture.  This week I had the bright idea to attempt to paint around 38 Ultramarines. Taking the approach that while one is good, two better, I scaled it up to far to many and attempted to batch paint them.

The Blue Tide
At this stage, all of the labor intensive work is done.  They were sprayed with Army Painter Royal Blue spray and then washed with Asurman Blue, followed by a highlight of Enchanted Blue.

Two paints I have become well aquatinted with
Working with a pre-primed or sprayed force was a new experience for me.  The color is brilliant, and is incredibly smooth.  However I was slightly put off to find that I could not get the same color in liquid form.  I tend to wash models and then bring them back up to the original color. This aside, Enchanted Blue was able to pull through and save the day.

When batch painting, I have found it nice to take a break between every step or two steps, depending on the number of models painted, and work on something completely different. 

In this instance I chose to work on Chaplain Cassius .  This is a very work in progress picture, only the flesh is done, and I will probably repaint it.  I feel that it lacks contrast.


Cassius
The Chaplain, who before I got ahold of him, was feeling rather blue. A few moments with a brush and he was in a black mood. 

Color puns aside, I expect to have these 38 guys done, along with their transports, by this weekend.  

Stay tuned and thanks for dropping by,

Dave

1 comment:

  1. They look grand mate.
    The blue is really nice.
    Look forward to seeing them at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete