Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Basing Madness!

As a painter I tend to work in batches.  Tonight I was basing a few models..... these are their stories......

First I built some bases for 3 Crisis Suits I had.  I am not a fan of the legs on the suits as I feel that they are not dynamic. I was able to work out how to pose them in such a way to give them some movement.

The bases are composed of layered cork board with ballast covering the cracks.  Then a hold was drilled into the top layer of cork into which a flying rod was inserted.

Here are the results

Dynamic Crisis Suits



 I also built a base for an older broadside. As you can see, the model is lifted slightly off of the base.  I was hoping to give the impression of the "Slow and Purposeful" movement. 

Here are some models that are done with paint and just need their bases done.  I am leaning towards doing all my bases the same so that the allies issue will not be a problem.

Allies?
The tally is 16 Kroot, 12 Fire Warriors, and 5 Assault marines. The AM were left over from my Ultramarines First Company painted up as Lamenters. As of right now, the plan is to paint up around 1500 points as an off the wall project.

How do you guys deal with left over models?  Have the 6th edition allies rules changed the way you paint/ base your models?

Thanks for browsing,

Dave

1 comment:

  1. Dave,

    For me basing is a great way to tie the army together. It is something I am working on with my Eldar as slowly re-base and re-paint much of the army. My Spce wolves have very simple base with sand and a drybrushing, but they are all done the same and with a Space Wolves Grey rim they look very nice. I took it to a new level with my Tau (gone but can be seen here https://picasaweb.google.com/WolfSpyrle/MyTau# ) and my Imperial Guard. Bases were manufactured by the dozens all matching the dominent theme.

    Honestly, I haven't given much thought to allied forces of my own yet, but I think for now I might just use them as they are, but 6th edition opens the door for a new Army (or subcollection of meodels I own already) including allies that are all based the same. When the new starter set comes out, I might make an Allied Chaos Space Marines and IG Force with my leftover guys.

    ReplyDelete