Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Sunday, July 29, 2012

How much is to much?

I have a confession.  I am addicted to GW's plastic crack.  I was cleaning out the hobby room and stumbled upon a realization.

My name is Dave, and I am a Hoarder.

I have tons of cool and great ideas, according to me, but I feel that I have come to a point where my eyes are bigger than my ability to finish projects.  Now don't get me wrong, I have several fully painted armies, but I am always looking for the next project.  Here was a quick rundown from today.

2000 pts of fully painted Grey Knights
Over 2000 Pts of painted Khorne
Around 3000 Pts of Painted Guard
2000 pts of painted Ultramarines
1000 pts of Tau in progress
1500 Chaos Daemons in the works
1500 of Blood Angels in the works
2-3 full boxes of bits

I am literally suffocating under all of these models.  As someone who would like to, at some point, become what could be considered "good" at this game, I realize that I need to seriously focus on playing one army.  After all, Michael Phelps does not do the Triathlon does he?

This leads me to the conclusion that something has to go.

I think the best thing will be to focus on no more than 3 armies.  So, with that in mind, I think that the Grey Knights and the Chaos will be the first to go.  The Tau will shortly follow suit.

How do you guys deal with Hobby Overload?  Any Advice?  Feel free to drop any and all ideas in the comment box.

Thanks for dropping by,  will return to hobby content shortly,

Dave

3 comments:

  1. If you are going to get rid of an Army, I would recommend two things:

    1. Pick the one that you aren't having fun painting or playing with.

    2. Select a model or two you are especially proud of painting, coverting or collecting and keep it(them) when you do sell the army. I wish I had when I sold my Tau.

    BTW how many blog exchanges are you on? If you aren't a member of House of Paincakes, Bell of Lost Souls and Faiet 212's I'd recommend you get your blog on there to get a few more visitors stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW,

    This is what I have in mind for Vostorian Ogryn

    http://colgravis.blogspot.com/2010/02/commission-vostroyan-nork-deddog-part-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take a deep breath and slow down everything that I am doing. I stop trying to work on multiple things at once and just put a bunch of my stuff out of sight until only what I have prioritized can be touched and work on that. I don't see it as a bad thing to have a bunch of different projects, just if they are distracting you they can sometimes make you feel like you are not making progress on anything in particular. For instance I started to work on some Tyranids that I had extensively planned out and I have a great vision for them. I of course had gotten them because I was given a very good deal on all of them, but also because I had broken down. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do anything else until I had a fieldable Tau army that was fully painted. Since I bought those Tyranids I have hidden my boxes and sprues in shelves so they are out of sight and out of mind until those Tau I promised myself are done. Its painful to see all these unopened boxes and sprues when I so desperately want to play this army since I have a serious passion for their story and playstyle and all of that, but it is very important to me to at least have one finished army first so that I can take my time with them and while working on them have an army I can be proud of and will do me proud in events I attend. I am not one for selling models because I have always been of the opinion that I will regret it in the future and may want them later or wish I still had something in particular. What is particularly nice now is the Allies mechanic. Besides the longer you keep them the more their value will increase lol. Just my thoughts on this issue.

    ReplyDelete