Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Sunday, July 8, 2012

Narrative Escalation

With 6th edition fresh in everyones' minds what is the best way to go about learning the rules?

I know several folks who have sat down and read the rulebook through several times.  No one can deny that plowing through "the book" (I suppose Tome is more appropriate) yields content knowledge.



But doesn't this get old?  Aren't there those of us who are learn by doing?  What about practical application?  What is the best way to pursue this?  Some might play 500-1000 point games until they have a mastery of the rules, but in my opinion  this gets dull.

With the new focus on creating a narrative is it possible to link your learning games into an escalation format?

Game 1 500 pts Focus on troops and troop actions
Game 2 1000 pts one FA/Elite/Heavy etc
Game 3 1500 pts Multiple HQ or other more rule focused models

The purpose it to limit the amount of time you are searching through the Tome while still having some sense that what you are doing is actually worth while.

Does anyone have experience with narrative games or escalation leagues?  Will this work?

Thanks for dropping by,

Dave


4 comments:

  1. You know, I might be convinced to buy the Planetary Empires set for such a campaign. I think if it was 500 points plus say 125 for each tile up to 2000 it could be a great way to build and paint an army while learning the rules. Of course you'd only be able to fight at the point level of your opponent. I know we could have gotten in 3 500 point games in the same time as our last 1850 point game.

    I think an open discussion of planned lists is better than hard and fast rules on what can't be taken in a small group, but in groups larger than 6 people you might need some rules. Otherwise, someone might be forced to take choices at the lower levels that he does not plan to include in his core army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a Planetary Empire campaign would be cool. I know that I have some tau that I am working on that would make a cool army.

      After reading some of the background on your army I think that I would like to explore that aspect of the hobby besides simply having the cut and paste army.

      What exactly do you mean by "planned lists?"

      I think a simple ladder campaign would be a good place to start. 3 missions agreed upon beforehand scaling form 500-750-1000 pts. Perhaps played in an afternoon. I believe that this will provide something that is manageable for the time allotment while still allowing for narrative development.

      What are your thoughts?

      Delete
  2. When I think of escalation leagues, usually each week is a set point level. But if rules say I can't have 2+ saves in a 500 point game, what happens if I'd planned to build a Deathwing Army?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete