Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ultramarines in 6th- what works and what doesn't?

With all the talk about 6th edition and what the new game-breaking combinations are I offer up my experiences and thoughts.  Here is a list of Whats hot... and whats not....

This afternoon I played Kevin's Space Wolves, check them out at A Downward Spyrle.

He was playing a heavy drop pod list with all of the awesome things that Space Wolves bring. It included Grey Hunters, Blood Claws (Lukas included), and of course Ragnar.

I was playing my Ultramarines.  I had a command squad, sternguard, and 2 Tactical squads.

So... Whats Hot?

Divination Powers.  My Sternguard with a Librarian and 2 divination Powers.  I went for the Primis power as well as the one that forces the opponent to re-roll armour saves.  These. Guys. Rock.  The ability to choose your ammo as well as focus on one unit means that they can really bring the pain when they want to.

Deathwind Launchers-  While neither of us took them,  we discussed the potential threat that a S5 Large Blast could generate.

Wolf Guard with Storm Shields-  One of these guys held up my Captain with Relic Blade for at least 3-4 rounds of combat.

Lukas the Trixter in a challange-  If you kill him you loose your super powerful character.... end of story.  The cloak of the Doppleganger.... re-roll all successful hits...... with the new wound allocation from shooting, if this guy is first to assault I have to roll two 6s in a row. Wow.

Whats Not?

5 man command squad with FNP does not have the same survivability as it once did.

Deep Striking is still a risk without teleport homers.

Combat Squads are extremely fragile

Placement of models is even more critical.

Overwatch is not as good as I thought.  You really need weight of fire to make it worthwhile.


Overall thoughts?

I really enjoyed my game.... I might tweak a few things with the list but I feel like it has potential.

How has 6th been treating you?  Any memorable moments?

Thanks for dropping by.

Dave

1 comment:

  1. That reroll saves power sucked...(for me) You forgot about bubble wrapping, still saved you from Ragnar's assault on your Sternguard. Also ATSKNF absolutely rocks. With so few things restricting regrouping, Space Marines of all flavors got a huge boost. I know you have your command squad all done, but maybe you could carry Combi-weapons, Thunderhammers(or lighting clawes or powerfists) and Storm Shields. It looks like a storm shield is a quick 15 point upgrade for each guy that you don't have to give up a weapon for, but still restrics you from getting the extra attack. With cunningly placed magnets, you could make them an optional upgrade. I have 3 Dark Angel Storm Shields gathering dust.

    ReplyDelete