Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Where to go form here?

As most gamers do, I have more projects than I know what to do with.  Often times it is helpful to sit down and examine what you have and where you want to go.

Whops wrong type of exam.
Tauriffic!!

At this point I have a few more Tau units I would like to finish.  As most of these are vehicles, I will have to wait until my airbrush is more cooperative. Other than that there are only 3 Crisis Suits, a Broadside and 12 fire warriors to finish, along with 6 Pathfinders.

If anyone has 4ish Pathfinders with rail rifles I would be happy to work out a trade.

Blood Angels- but YELLOW!!!







I also have quite a large number of extra Space Marines that I am planning on painting in Lamenters colors. That tally includes:
8 Sternguard
10 Assault Marines
5 regular Terminators with assault cannon
Terminator Librarian
Regular Librarian
1 Drop Pod








Here come the question.  Where do I go from here?  When I finish both of these little projects I will have 3000 Pts of painted Khorne, 2000 Pts of painted Ultramarines, 2000 Pts of painted Grey Knights, 2500 Pts of painted Imperial Guard, 1000 Pts of painted Blood Angels and Tau. 


For those of you blessed with the skill of math, you see that this is 11,500 Pts of GW product.  I don't have the time to play everything and storage can sometimes be an issue. So do I sell some of it to finance future projects?  Do I slow down and limit myself?  Do I focus more on playing and paint less?  


If anyone has any ideas, please drop me a line.  I feel like I have to many ideas and not enough space/ money.  How can I get more out of my hobby?


Here are a few ideas off the top of my head.
1. Paint to a higher level on individual units.
 Rationale- The better something is painted, the longer it takes, the more mileage out of one GW kit. 
2. Build smaller armies.
 Rationale- Smaller armies, yields smaller number of units which reduces cost. With the advent of 6th edition it seems plausible that the game is better enjoyed at 1500 pts, given the intricacies that have evolved within setup (placement of terrain), shooting (precision shots), and Close Combat (initiave steps and challenges.)
3. Forge more of a narrative.
Rationale- In the past I have been so focused on getting one thing finished perhaps now is the time to write a little background for my armies.
4. Play More.
Rationale- This is a GAME.  Perhaps I should play more....... might get more enjoyment out of the game. Besides, games give the opportunity for Bat Reps.... something that I recently got to experience..... and I enjoyed it. 

I feel like these 4 steps might help to improve my experience.


What do you guys think?  How do you stay fresh with the hobby?  How do you balance painting, playing, forging a narrative? 

1 comment:

  1. I am doing some of those things, but I have so much unpainted stuff, that I am not in the same position as you.

    As for selling off an Army, you'll need to decide if you will be using it in any more games. If not, is the cash value more than the value you assign to it as a display.

    A buddy of mine scored a vertical display case and was able to showcase his armies instead of keeping them locked up in cases. Sadly this was in Okinawa, so I don't have any good leads on some.

    One thing I wish I had done, was to keep one or two of my favorite models from my Tau Army I sold. So if you do decide to sell an Army, you may want to keep a select few favorites.

    ReplyDelete