Pages

Welcome to Jack's Painting!

Specializing Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy, and Historics.


Monday, May 30, 2011

Space Marines: Ultramarines 2.0

This past weekend I was at the Hobby Chest and I ran into a really nice gent who, after eight years in the United States Marine Core, (you know, that institution that defends our freedom) decided to resurrect a 1993 interest in Warhammer.  As an Ultramarine buff myself we, along with other people in the store, were discussing the finer points of the painting, gaming, and politics.



Incidentally, this gent loves to play Warhammer 40,000 and loves great looking models.  I like Warhammer 40,000 and love to paint.  Thus a plan was hatched.... The chicks loved it. 

Chicks loving our hatched plan
We worked out a system that would leave him a vibrant, great looking army, and allow me to paint some awesome models. I have to admit that some of these ideas put me way out of my comfort zone.  Some of you may remember my Ultramarines, notice that they are very mellow and flat.  I felt that this pushed me to work with colors that I had little experience with to create a model that is, in my opinion, totally unique. 


Front

In this instance Owen was instrumental in working out colors. I like to paint, but I tend to work myself into a place where I do not push the color envelop and stick with what I am comfortable with. 

Back

Io have to say that Calthan Brown is a wonderful color to use.  Where most browns have either a yellow, like Snakebite Leather, or red, like Scorched Brown, tint.  Calthan Brown is an awesome neutral color that goes well with just about everything.  In this instance I have painted the rim of the base and the pouches. 

Side
I painted the lenses and drilled out the Bolter barrel, sometimes a project just calls you to go that extra mile.  I am happy to say that this is one of them.

I am very excited about this project and am looking forward to producing an army that will be vibrant, look good on the table, be fun to play, but above all, be something that one can be proud of. 

I will be continuing to work on the Dark Eldar project as well, so expect updates!

Thanks for stopping by,

Dave

2 comments: